When Albany drivers shop for a new crossover, many of us are looking for a family vehicle, which puts safety and fuel economy at the top of the list. We took a look at the 2016 Jeep Patriot safety features and fuel economy and compared them to the 2016 Honda CR-V to give you an idea of what your options are when crossover shopping. Once you get done reading our comparison, we think the choice will be easy.
Safety Features and Ratings
Perhaps one of the biggest advantages of the CR-V over the 2016 Jeep Patriot safety features is in the rearview camera. Honda gives drivers a standard multi-angle rear camera while Jeep requires an upgrade for a regular rear camera. Honda also includes standard second-row headrests to help reduce the risk of neck injury in an accident, and the Touring trim level of the CR-V comes standard with Honda Sensing safety features that helped it earn a 2016 Top Safety Pick+ from the IIHS* thanks to the forward collision prevention technology.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration points to some clear CR-V advantages as well:
- The 2016 CR-V earned a 5-Star Overall Safety Rating while the Patriot only managed 4 stars overall.**
- The Patriot came up short on the Overall Frontal Crash Safety Rating as well at just 3 stars while the CR-V earned 5 stars.
- The CR-V earned an NHTSA Rollover Safety Rating of 4 stars, too, while the Patriot only earned 3 stars for rollover safety.
Fuel Economy and Engine Specs
Power and fuel economy are two other weak spots on the Patriot:
- The 2016 Jeep Patriot has a 2.0L 4-cylinder engine with 158 hp and 141 lb-ft of torque, earning an EPA-estimated 30 highway and 23 city mpg for 26 mpg combined.***
- The 2016 Honda CR-V 2WD LX has a 2.4L 4-cylinder with 185 hp and 181 lb-ft of torque, and it is rated at an EPA-estimated 33 highway and 26 city mpg for 29 mpg combined.***
The 2016 CR-V can also tow as much as 1,500 pounds when properly equipped, while the Patriot only tows up to 1,000 pounds.
Test Drive a CR-V
The 2016 Honda CR-V is available now at a Capital Region Honda Dealer near you. Take it for a test drive and see what it has to offer beyond besting the 2016 Jeep Patriot safety features and fuel economy.
*The 2016 Accord Sedan with Honda Sensing™, the 2016 Accord Coupe with Honda Sensing™, the 2016 Pilot with Honda Sensing™, and the 2016 CR-V Touring have been awarded the coveted 2016 TOP SAFETY PICK+ rating from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) in recognition of their superior crash safety performance.
**Safety matters most, and the 2016 CR-V, Accord, Fit, Odyssey, and HR-V earned top marks with a 5-Star Overall Vehicle Score from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Government 5-Star Safety Ratings are part of the U.S. Department of Transportation’s New Car Assessment Program (www.safercar.gov). Model tested with standard side airbags (SAB).
***Based on 2016 EPA mileage ratings. Use for comparison purposes only. Your mileage will vary depending on driving conditions, how you drive and maintain your vehicle, battery-pack age/condition, and other factors.
Capital Region Honda Dealers includes Lia Honda, Keeler Honda, Mohawk Honda, Carbone Honda of Bennington, D’Ella Honda of Glens Falls, Rensselaer Honda, Bedard Bros. Honda, and Saratoga Honda.