2016 Minivan Reviews Praise the Honda Odyssey
In addition to the now-famous Honda Magic Seat that makes the cargo area easily accessible and expandable, Honda has a unique built-in vacuum available that makes it easy to keep your minivan clean, reaching every corner of the cabin. Read our 2016 Nissan Quest standard features comparison
to see how competing minivans compare on amenities.
Entertainment: Standards like Bluetooth HandsFreeLink make it easy to set the soundtrack, whether it’s for singalongs or letting the kids play DJ. An available rear DVD entertainment system can keep the kids occupied on even the longest drives.
Fuel Economy: The 2016 Honda Odyssey is engineered as a family vehicle through and through, and that means fitting into the family budget with its EPA-estimated 28 mpg highway fuel economy.*
With seating for as many as eight passengers, Honda gives you the choice between hauling family and friends in the 172.6 cubic feet of passenger space or making room for more cargo in the rear by folding down the third-row Honda Magic Seat. Read our 2016 Toyota Sienna review
to see how a competitor shapes up on cabin space and features.
Safety: There are few concerns more important than safety for a family vehicle, and the Odyssey has a standard rearview camera as well as available accident prevention features. Models equipped with the available forward collision warning system have earned a 2016 Top Safety Pick rating from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.**
Residual Value: It’s a good idea to look at investment potential for a minivan, and residual value estimates can put a perspective on whether or not a vehicle is a good investment. The 2016 Odyssey LX has ALG-estimated residual values of 52% at 36 months and 35% at 60 months.
Edmunds’ 2016 Odyssey Review Highlights
- “The 2016 Honda Odyssey continues its reign as one of the best minivans on the market.”
- “The Odyssey’s vast cabin ensures that both second- and third-row passengers will be comfortable, even if they’re adults. The second row is highly configurable, too, particularly on the EX trim and above — you can spread the seats apart to create more shoulder room or slide them around to open up more third-row space.”
- “Even with the third row in use, there are a useful 38.4 cubic feet of space in the rear to store luggage, strollers or whatever else you’ve got.”
Car and Driver’s 2016 Odyssey Review Highlights
- “The Odyssey has charmed our staff for years with its unrivaled road manners, smooth powertrain, and accommodating interior.”
- “With room for up to eight passengers to sit comfortably, the Odyssey is also fuel-efficient, thanks to the cylinder-deactivation feature on its 248-hp 3.5-liter V6.”
- “Perhaps most exciting is the built-in vacuum in the cargo area. Featured on certain models, it’s so obvious in its usefulness you’ll wonder how you ever lived without it!”
Kelley Blue Book 2016 Odyssey Review Highlights
- “From its sliding side doors to its in-car vacuum, the 2016 Honda Odyssey was built with the family in mind. Easier to park than a full-size SUV, not to mention being less fuel thirsty, the Odyssey is the feature-packed 8-passenger shuttle your family has been looking for.”
- “In everyday driving, the Odyssey’s suspension absorbs bumps and road imperfections for a very comfortable ride, yet the settings are not so soft as to induce unwanted body roll in the turns. Numerous driver aids include Honda’s LaneWatch technology. Activate the right turn signal and LaneWatch uses a passenger-side, mirror-mounted camera to provide a clear view of that side of the van.”
- Kelley Blue Book ranks the 2016 Odyssey as a 9.3, ahead of the Toyota Sienna’s 9.1, the Kia Sedona’s 8.9, and the Nissan Quest’s 8.5.
U.S. News & World Report 2016 Odyssey Review Highlights
- “Based on our analysis of professional reviews and data, the Odyssey is our top-rated Minivan.”
- “Critics love its huge, versatile cargo area, family-friendly interior features, and well-built cabin.”
- “The sliding middle seat is a great way to put a small child’s safety seat within the driver’s reach, and it can also be removed to allow easier access to the third row of seats.”
The Car Connection 2016 Odyssey Review Highlights
- “The 2016 Honda Odyssey stands at the top of the minivan heap, with more design flair and more driving enjoyment than most other three-row rivals.”
- “With 248 horsepower and 250 pound-feet of torque from a 3.5-liter V-6, and a 6-speed automatic transmission, this front-wheel-drive minivan has enough on reserve for strong passing, even with a full load.”
- “Although you’ll never mistake the Odyssey for a sport sedan, the Odyssey definitely handles more like an Accord than a Pilot … the Odyssey manages to combine ride comfort and handling prowess better than most family-haulers.”
*Based on 2016 EPA mileage ratings. Use for comparison purposes only. Your mileage will vary depending on how you drive and maintain your vehicle, driving conditions and other factors.
**The following 2016 models have been awarded an esteemed TOP SAFETY PICK rating from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) in recognition of their excellent safety performance: Accord Sedan, Accord Coupe, CR-V, Pilot, and Odyssey.