The crossover segment grows more popular each year, so the team at Car & Driver decide to “compare five prime cuts from the loin of mid-size crossover country” to find their best rated midsize SUV. Models deemed worthy of prime cut status included:
- 2019 Nissan Murano
- 2019 Ford Edge
- 2019 Chevrolet Blazer
- 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe
- 2019 Honda Passport
After three days and 550 miles across California’s southern and central valleys, the Honda Passport easily came out ahead.
Car & Driver’s Midsize Crossover Highs and Lows
2019 Nissan Murano:
- “Highs: Cushy front seats, best ride in the group.
- Lows: Raucous engine, F-body space efficiency, CVT.
- Verdict: Perfect if all you ever do is coast short distances downhill with a single passenger.”
2019 Ford Edge:
- “Highs: Seriously silent, low-stress engine, good grip.
- Lows: Tall hoodline, bizarre control relationships, overweight, underdamped.
- Verdict: It’s as awkward in daily use as it is on a mountain road.”
2019 Chevrolet Blazer:
- “Highs: Rewarding control feel and response, quick.
- Lows: Pricey, harshest ride, recalcitrant downshifts.
- Verdict: An SUV for blazing down back roads and burning through your savings.”
2019 Hyundai Santa Fe:
- “Highs: Inexpensive, packaged like Costco, feature-laden.
- Lows: Blasé control feel, merely adequate dynamics.
- Verdict: Simple, usable, economical, effective. It’s the practical family’s choice.”
2019 Honda Passport:
- “Highs: Big on space, small from behind the wheel, quick, priced right.
- Lows: Enough with the push-button shifter already, still needs more knobs.
- Verdict: The best combination of utility and driving pleasure also comes with a reasonable price tag.”
Honda Dominates the Midsize Crossover Segment
While rival models were criticized for underwhelming performance, the Honda Passport’s 280 hp 3.5L V6 produced “the best zero-to-60, quarter-mile, and 50-to-70 passing times in the group, even as the Passport earned the best observed fuel economy.”
At the same time, Car & Driver praised the vehicle’s ability to fit more than its competitors, with key interior dimensions including
- Passenger Space: Up to 115.9 cubic feet.
- Cargo Space: Up to 100.7 cubic feet behind 1st row.
Test Drive the 2019 Honda Passport by Visiting Your Local Honda Showroom!
Car & Driver summed up by remarking that “Honda squarely nails those details necessary to be a legit family-hauling utility wagon”. To explore the Passport alongside all Honda AWD models, visit your nearest Capital Region Honda dealer today. To find out more or explore special offers, feel free to contact us directly.