During their own Subaru Forester vs. Honda CR-V match-up, Car and Driver summed up by noting that “the Honda is more powerful and satisfying to operate as a vehicle”, which was enough to put it ahead of the Subaru. To understand just how far ahead of the curve Honda has developed their perennially popular crossover SUV, just use our Subaru Forester vs. Honda CR-V comparison to compare them on:
- Price and Residual Value
- Power and MPG
- Cargo Space
Price and Residual Value
It makes sense to start with pricing when you’re comparing crossover SUVs, so we’ve compared the top-tier trims of the Honda CR-V and Subaru Forester to show which one costs more and which one holds its value better:
- Subaru Forester Touring Price: The Forester Touring starts at $34,495 MSRP.
- Honda CR-V Touring Price: The CR-V Touring is priced at $34,150*.
- Subaru Forester Residual Value: The Forester Touring retains an ALG Residual Value of 40% after 60 months.
- Honda CR-V Residual Value: The CR-V Touring retains an ALG Residual Value of 45% after 60 months.
Power and MPG
Whether looking for responsive performance or strong efficiency scores, the Honda CR-V uses cutting-edge engineering to outpace the outdated Subaru Forester.
Just check out how specs compare:
- Honda CR-V HP and Torque: A turbocharged 2.4L four-cylinder makes up to 190 hp and 179 lb-ft of torque.
- Subaru Forester HP and Torque: A 2.5L four-cylinder makes up to 182 hp and 176 lb-ft of torque.
- Honda CR-V MPG: Achieve up to an EPA-estimated 28 mpg in the city and 34 mpg on the highway**.
- Subaru Forester MPG: Achieve up to an EPA-estimated 26 mpg in the city and 33 mpg on the highway.
A crossover SUV should provide plenty of room for everything you might need to bring, and the Honda CR-V certainly does that better than the Subaru:
- Honda CR-V Cargo Capacity: Find up to 37.6 cubic feet behind the 2nd row or 75.8 behind the 1st row.
- Subaru Forester Cargo Capacity: Find up to 33 cubic feet behind the 2nd row or 70.9 behind the 1st row.
Experience the 2019 Honda CR-V Firsthand at Your Local Honda Showroom
*MSRP excluding tax, license, registration, $1,045.00 destination charge and options. Dealers set own prices.
**Based on 2019 EPA mileage ratings. Use for comparison purposes only. Your mileage will vary depending on how you drive and maintain your vehicle, driving conditions and other factors.