Any parent looking at the best used vehicle for teenagers is going to make safety a top priority. It’s especially important to consider industry recommendations when looking at used models since many won’t have the latest features. In most cases, going for an established name like Honda can help – they boast an exceptional reputation for reliability and safety.
With that in mind, here’s a quick overview of:
- IIHS Best Used Car Choices for Teens Under $20,000
- IIHS Best Used Car Choices for Teens Under $10,000
IIHS Best Used Car Choices for Teens Under $20,000
Keeping between $10,000 and $20,000 provides a relatively new vehicle without having to push prices up too high for teen drivers, and you’ll find a wide range of Honda models highlighted by the IIHS (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety).
- Honda Accord Sedan (2013 and later): The Accord is currently one of the nation’s bestselling retail vehicles thanks to its mix of space, comfort, and technology. Safety scores have remained strong.
- Honda Accord Coupe (2013 and later): The Accord Coupe is a nice model for city-based teenagers who want something with slightly more responsive handling.
- Honda CR-V (2015 and later): Teen drivers looking for an SUV should consider the CR-V. It’s extremely versatile and easy to drive, and the latest generation keeps ongoing costs low with strong efficiency ratings.
- Honda Odyssey (2011 and later): A minivan might seem like an odd choice for a teenager, but that’s before you consider seating options able to take up to seven friends and the driver.
IIHS Good Used Car Choices for Teens Under $10,000
Dipping under $10,000 is necessary for many teenage drivers, but that doesn’t mean you take a hit on quality. Simply look for slightly older versions of the vehicles listed above:
- Honda Accord Sedan (2012)
- Honda CR-V (2012 and later)
- Honda Odyssey (2011-2013)
2007-2011 models of the Honda Element are also a good value proposition.