Safety Features of the 2019 Honda Fit
The Fit’s most advanced safety features are grouped together in the Honda Sensing package, a celebrated collection of Active and Driver-Assistive features that work like a second driver. The package comes standard on the Fit’s EX and EX-L trim levels, and each feature uses radar, sensors, and artificial intelligence to keep you out of harm’s way.
- Collision Mitigation Braking System: The Honda Fit’s Forward Collision Warning (FCW) and Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBS) provide an extra line of defense against any surprises that you might encounter in your path. The system uses built-in sensors to detect any activity in the lane ahead, and if the FCW isn’t sufficient to slow you down, the CMBS will bring you to a halt automatically.
- Lane Guidance and Accident Avoidance: Drivers who choose the Fit will have automated protection against accidental lane changes which can often lead to serious accidents. A Lane Departure Warning (LDW) beeps to alert you if you exit your lane without a turn signal, and the Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS) and Road Departure Mitigation (RDM) make gentle adjustments to keep you centered in your lane.
- Adaptive Cruise Control: Conventional cruise control offers limited utility because you have to turn the setting on and off whenever you encounter light traffic. With the Fit’s Adaptive Cruise Control technology, you’ll simply set your speed and your preferred follow distance and let the on-board computer take care of the rest. You’ll speed up and slow down automatically in response to road conditions.
Active and Driver-Assistive Safety Features
Every Honda Fit comes equipped with the tools you’ll need to avoid the most dangerous—and the most common—collisions, whether you’re traveling at full speed or maneuvering through a crowded parking lot.
- Auto High-Beam Headlights: The Honda Fit’s EX and EX-L trim levels both come standard with Automatic High-Beam Headlights, which adjust their brightness in response to the presence or absence of traffic. They’re the perfect complement to the Fit’s Daytime Running Lights, which come standard in every trim.
- Multi-Angle Rearview Camera: The Fit’s standard Multi-Angle Rearview Camera makes it easy to maneuver in tight spaces. You’ll have immediate access to Wide Angle, Normal, and Top Down viewing modes whenever you enter into reverse.
- Honda LaneWatch: The Honda LaneWatch system uses a small side view mirror-mounted camera to help you check your blind spot. When you activate your right-hand turn signal, the feed from this camera will display on an easy-to-see screen. Once you’ve gotten the chance to use it, you’ll wonder how you ever drove without it.
- Vehicle Stability Assist with Traction Control: The Fit is as agile as they come! Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) with Traction Control changes the way your vehicle responds to tight turns and long curves, adjusting the speed at which your inside wheels rotate to keep you stable and maximize your ability to maneuver.
Passive Safety Features
There’s no substitute for a solid foundation. This year’s Fit has been designed with a comprehensive array of passive safety features that minimize the danger posed by crashes. Last year’s model earned a five-star overall safety rating from the experts at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration*.
- Advanced Compatibility Engineering: Advanced Compatibility Engineering (ACE) body structure helps the Fit stand up to potentially deadly crashes. Parts of its body have been made to collapse under pressure, while others have been made to stay rigid, and the result is a significantly safer cabin.
- Secure Seating for Children: Every Honda Fit comes standard with rear-door child locks as well as Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children (LATCH). These locks make it easier than ever to strap and secure car seats for younger riders.
- Seat Belts and Airbag Systems: Three-point seatbelts have been included for every seating position in the five-passenger Honda Fit, and those in the front seats have been designed to draw themselves taut automatically. What’s more, the Fit has been manufactured with three sets of airbags. Advanced Front Airbags, SmartVent Front Side Airbags, and Side Curtain Airbags with a Rollover Sensor all come standard.
*Government 5-Star Safety Ratings are part of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s (NHTSA’s) New Car Assessment Program. For additional information on the 5-Star Safety Ratings program, please visit www.safercar.gov.